I have loved dolls, history, and the Victorian Era since I was little and can credit my grandmother for that. As a young girl she gave me a Godey’s Fashion print for August 1870 from my great, great Aunt Flossie. I was captivated by the dresses and became hooked. I just love to research everything and anything about the Victorian Era. I also love to design Victorian dolls. I hope you enjoy my Victorian Dolls, Victorian Traditions,The Victorian Era, and Me blog.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Let's Play Dress-Up!

"What do you want to do?" "I don't know. What do you want to do?" "Hey, I know. Let's play dress-up." "Yeah! Let's play dress-up." "I'll be mommy." "No, I want to be mommy." "Mom, Linda won't let me be you." "Linda, let your sister be me."

I can remember playing "dress-up" as a child. Can't you? What girl hasn't played "dress-up" once in her life? It's one of the most delightful escapes that "little girls" can have.

I loved putting on my Mother's clothes and imagining that I was her. Playing dress-up for a day. Every little girl does it. Whether you imagine being your Mother, or a famous movie star, or someone else. It doesn't matter. What matters is the delightful childhood fantasy. The pure enjoyment of living in your imagination for the briefest of times. Playing dress-up. Make believe. Making yourself into a beautiful doll.

Is it any wonder then that I love and design dolls for. Designing is the ultimate "dress-up" as the dolls can be anything I want them to be. Frilly, frumpy, beautiful, ugly, Victorian, and modern. Classy, regal, elegant, refined. Anything at all. I can play "dress-up" any time I want. I guess you could say that I just never grew up.

No comments:

Post a Comment